Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Creamy Gorgonzola Dressing


I have a not-so-secret love of salads. They're bright, fresh, and easy to make. My husband, on the other hand, really is more of a "Meat and Potatoes" sort of man. It isn't that he won't eat them, they just aren't something he asks for regularly. So, often, it's impractical for me to keep bottles of salad dressing on hand, because, though I could eat a salad every day and be very happy, I can hardly go through 1 bottle of salad dressing, which sort of kills any attempt at variety.

My solution to this issue is that I just make my own dressing in small quantities. This way, I can have a different dressing whenever the mood strikes. I'm really more of a ranch dressing sort of girl. Shocking, I know! Seems like ranch is the official dressing of California. We put it on everything, salad, carrots, fries, etc. I've even heard some people put it on pizza, which I find revolting. But, if that's what gets you clucking, have at it, little chicken.

But, sometimes, I just don't have any ranch on hand and have to improvise and last night was one of those nights. I came up short on time to make dinner for our family of six and defaulted to "rabbit food" and threw together a salad. Only issue was, I had no ranch and found some Gorgonzola in the fridge that cried out, "USE ME!". And, that's just what I did.

Here's my method:

2 oz of Gorgonzola cheese
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 tsp rice vinegar (sherry vinegar is more traditional, but I never have it on hand)
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp black pepper

Chuck it all in your blender and flip that sucker to liquefy! Give it a taste and add more pepper if you like or stir in an extra ounce of cheese crumbles if you like it chunky. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment