Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Banana Chai Pancakes


Some mornings make me want to crawl back in to bed. And this was one of those mornings. My sweet little 18 month old seems to have reached the "Diabolical Super Villain" phase of toddler-hood. The things he gets into when I turn my back just blow my mind. This morning, he decided, in the split second I was out of the kitchen, to shimmy his way up my cabinets and grab the bunch of bananas I'd purchased last night, peeled half of them and mangled the other half.

Oh, he was SO proud of himself! Sitting there in the midst of banana carnage. I don't know what you would have done in this situation. Maybe you'd have just thrown them out, but not me. No, that would be wasteful.  Life handed me mushed bananas, so I rinsed them off and made Banana Chai Pancakes.

Here's my method:

2 very smashed bananas
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
2 Tbs coconut oil, melted and cooled
1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
3 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cardamom

In a large bowl, whisk bananas, eggs, buttermilk, and coconut oil together until well combined. The add the dry ingredients, mixing until it just comes together as a lumpy batter. Dose out the batter onto a heated griddle and flip when they start to bubble. Serve immediately with warm maple syrup and sliced bananas.

I promise you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment