Monday, May 27, 2013

Cilantro Lime Brown Rice




For those die hard fans of a certain Mexican food chain, this post is for you. Even if you aren't the biggest fan of said food chain, you should pay attention, too, because this dish will rock your socks. Being from Southern California, we eat a lot of Mexican food, both when we're out and at home. It's simple to prepare, crowd pleasing, and allows me to indulge in my love of limes and cumin. It has quickly become one of my most favorite go-to side dish recipes.

When I first started making this dish, I used white rice, because I had it on hand. I loved it and so did my family, but my preference really lies more with using brown rice. Sure, it takes longer to cook, but my idol, Alton Brown, has an awesome method of baking brown rice and I've been a die hard convert ever since. Besides, baking has proven, in this house, to yield far more consistent results than sitting around babysitting a pot of boiling rice on the stove.

So, enough of my blathering, this is my method:

1 1/2 cup brown rice, medium or long grain
2 1/2 cup boiling water
1 Tbs unsalted butter
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
The zest of one lime
The juice of one lime

Preheat your oven to 375. In an oven safe casserole dish, add the rice, salt, butter, and boiling water. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Immediately after it bakes, fluff with a fork and add the cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice and toss to incorporate it well. Serve and devour.

Yes, it's really that simple! I hope you enjoy it, we sure do.




No comments:

Post a Comment