Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Raspberry Rhubarb Cobbler


I don't know who invented cobbler, but I'd really love to just give them a giant hug and tell them that my belly is their very best friend. It is simple to throw together, has tons of "Whoa" factor, and it tastes farking amazing! And, best of all, it's versatile! I had tons of raspberries and rhubarb on hand, which may seem like an unconventional combo to some. But, I promise it is an amazingly complex, gorgeously ruby-hued party in your mouth. 

Now, I've had cobbler several different ways. Biscuit topped concoctions are fantastic. My mom even makes a version with cake mix she calls "Dump Cake". Also fantastic. But, if you asked me which one I love the most, it's a simple batter crust cobbler. Why? Because, my friend, creating one is like performing the coolest of magic tricks, but better, because you get to eat cobbler at the finale. 

Though a true magician never reveals his or her secrets, I will share this with you, because it's just to yummy to keep to myself. It starts with a simple cast iron skillet and a stick of butter. Who doesn't love butter, am I right? Then, after melting that butter in a hot oven in that skillet, you pour it straight into your batter. Then you dump that magical browned butter batter smack back into that skillet. You throw your fruit on top (Yes, I said on top!) and chuck that bad boy back in the oven and wait for the magic to happen. At some point, while baking, that magical batter is going to puff up and the fruit will sink in and you'll be left with this amazing crispy, chewy crust surrounding a decadent warm fruit compote in the middle. See? Magic!

Here is my method: 

2 cups of raspberries
2 cup of rhubarb, cut into half inch, bite size pieces
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup milk
3/4-1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and put a stick of butter into 10 inch cast iron skillet (you can use a 9x12 casserole) and let it melt. Takes maybe 5 minutes. While the butter is melting, toss the berries and rhubarb in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar and allow it to macerate. 

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together in a bowl to combine. Then mix in the milk until there are no lumps. When the butter is melted, remove the pan from the oven and carefully pour it into the batter. Mix well and pour that gorgeous batter back into your skillet. Sprinkle on the fruit, as evenly as you can, and pop it back into the oven. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until down. Allow it to cool and serve with vanilla ice cream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment