Monday, June 3, 2013

Ranch Dressing


I have always been a "Ranch Dressing" girl. It was my mother's favorite and copious amounts were kept in our house for a multitude of applications. Salads, veggie dip, spread on a burger, dip for fries, hot wings, you name it, I've probably at least thought about putting ranch on it. It is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods. Creamy, rich, with just the right amount of bite. I could bathe in it. No, seriously, I could.

Because I love this stuff so very much, I'm insanely picky. If we're out to eat, I always ask for a ranch salad, because restaurants always have the best tasting ranch dressing. Why? Because they make it from scratch, people! Ditch the bottle and try this, just once and you'll never buy a bottle again!

Here is my method:

2/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup parsley**, chopped
1/3 cup chives**, chopped
salt
pepper

Take just a moment to sprinkle a bit of salt on the garlic clove and use a fork to mash it to a paste. Combine the sour cream, mayo, garlic paste, parsley, and chives in a bowl and mix well. Add in buttermilk until you get the consistency you want. If it seems a bit thick, just add more buttermilk. Add salt and pepper to taste and then tuck it in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavors really come together.

**Use fresh herbs, they really do make the difference. You can buy both at the store, already cut and washed and ready to use. I prefer to grow my own, making this a far more economical choice than buying bottles of pre-made dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment