Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hassleback Potatoes


Do you ever get bored making the same side dishes over and over and over again? I do! I tend to start not wanting to cook and have noticed that my kids tend to stop eating meals they almost always love when they crop up on our menu repeatedly. It's not that they don't love the meal, they're just bored with always eating the same thing. And while I like to keep our menu pretty varied and fresh, sometimes I go into default and make the same side dishes for that meal every time it pops up. Shake it up!!! It's what makes food so interesting!

The other day, we were grilling out. I had a tri tip out and ready to go, but since we just had one a few weeks before with a smoky chipotle rub, I decided to go just a bit simpler with this one. Just a sprinkle of salt and some herbs and on the grill it went. But, when I started to prep the same side dishes, I got bored with even trying to make dinner at all. That definitely calls for some side dish intervention!

I headed to pinterest and the first thing I saw that screamed, "MAKE ME!" was Hassleback potatoes. Accordian cut and pretty on the eyes, I found countless versions to try. But, to keep it simple and to compliment our meal, I went with just a bit of butter and Herbs de Provence and got a mouthwatering side dish that I seriously could have eaten all on it's own and been perfectly content. They're crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Practically perfect in every way.

Here's my method:

4 medium sized russet potatoes, scrubbed very clean
2 Tbs olive oil
4 Tbs butter
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp Herbs de Provence

Preheat your oven to 425 and line a pan with foil or parchment (makes for easier clean up!)

Take a moment to slice a small bit off the bottom of your potatoes, for stability. Then slice them across almost all the way through, so it opens up like an accordion when you pull on it. Take the time to rub in the oil between each slice and add a bit of butter, too. Then rub the skins with the remaining butter and oil, so they'll crisp up while baking. Sprinkle on the salt and herbs and pop them in the oven for about 40-45 minutes.

You will NOT be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment