Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins


Fall is most definitely on it's way to North Texas. I have finally managed to turn the air off and open a window, which is HUGE, because this summer was more than a little warm. But, it is finally fall and that means loads of pumpkin-ish goodies fly out of my kitchen!

These muffins are the result of an informal challenge from a friend. She posted a status about a certain coffee chain's pumpkin muffins with the tag line of, "I bet Shannon can make these.". Challenge accepted. Unfortunately, I have never actually eaten this chain's version, so I had to trek out to go get one. It was yummy... A little sweet, but good. Dense, spicy notes of cinnamon and cloves and a delectable cream cheese core.

I felt up to the challenge after 1 bite and the resulting muffins were close, but infinitely better, in my opinion. I usually reach for the brown sugar, when making anything with pumpkin. I just think it offers a deeper flavor profile. But, these muffins needed more depth, so I opted for white sugar with a boost of molasses, which is all brown sugar really is... No, really, it is. I amped up the spices and added ginger, which I felt was missing from the chain's version. What I produced was a very moist, spiced pumpkin muffin with a slightly sweet cream cheese core. Not a thing wrong it that! Only thing missing were the scattering of pumpkin seeds on top.

Here is my method:

Makes 24Cream Cheese Filling:

1 8oz brick of cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Muffins:3 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 15oz can pumpkin puree
1.5 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 tbs molasses 

With a handheld mixer, blend the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla together. Scoop into a piping bag with a round tip and chuck in the fridge to firm up. 

Mix all your dry ingredients together and set aside. In a mixer, beat together pumpkin, eggs, sugar, mollasses, and oil and then mix in the dry ingredients until just combined. Divy the batter between 24 lined muffin cups. Now, here's the fun part! Go get the cream cheese mixture and pipe some into the center of each muffin. Put the tip a little lower than half way down the middle and squeezw until it just a wee bit peeks out. It expands like crazy during baking. 

Bake at 350 for about 18-20 minutes. Allow to rest a few minutes before removing them to a cooling rack. 


No comments:

Post a Comment